EMBARGO – April 2020 CREA statistics
Canadian home sales and listings post record declines in April 2020
Ottawa, ON, May 15, 2020 – Statistics released today by the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) show national home sales and new listings fell by more than half in April 2020 compared to March.
- National home sales fell 56.8% on a month-over-month (m-o-m) basis in April.
- Actual (not seasonally adjusted) activity was down a similar 57.6% year-over-year (y-o-y).
- The number of newly listed properties decreased 55.7% from March to April.
- The MLS® Home Price Index (HPI) edged back 0.6% m-o-m but was still up 6.4% y-o-y.
- The actual (not seasonally adjusted) national average sale price fell 1.3% y-o-y.
Home sales recorded over Canadian MLS® Systems dropped by a record 56.8% in April 2020 compared to an already weakened March, with a majority of sellers and buyers having seemingly moved off to the sidelines during the COVID-19 lockdown.
Access the April 2020 stats PDF.
For more information, please contact:
The Canadian Real Estate Association
200 Catherine Street, 6th Floor, Ottawa, ON K2P 2K9
Tel: +1 (613) 237-7111