Yesterday, Minister Steve Clark and the Ontario Government released the much-anticipated report from the Housing Affordability Task Force.
The report highlighted that Ontario needs to build 1.5 million homes to meet demand and address the affordability crisis.
OREA had asked the Province to create this Task Force and we had a direct role in drafting many of the recommendations, with our own CEO, Tim Hudak, at the table as a member.
We are thrilled to see the Task Force has made several bold recommendations to increase housing supply and tackle the affordability crisis, including:
- Requiring greater density
- Allowing more housing in more locations through modern zoning policies
- Uniform provincial standards for shadows and setbacks
- Prioritizing housing supply over neighbourhood character
- Cutting red tape to streamline the process
This report is a clear agenda for action. Now it is time to get to work.
You can read the full report here.
Chair, OREA Government Relations Committee