Demand continues to outpace supply as Canadian home sales jump in April
Ottawa, ON, May 15, 2023 – Statistics released today by the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) show national home sales jumped by double digits on a month-over-month basis in April 2023.
- National home sales surged 11.3% month-over-month in April.
- Actual (not seasonally adjusted) monthly activity came in 19.5% below April 2022.
- The number of newly listed properties edged up 1.6% month-over-month but remain at a 20-year low.
- The MLS® Home Price Index (HPI) climbed 1.6% month-over-month but was down 12.3% year-over-year.
- The actual (not seasonally adjusted) national average sale price posted a 3.9% year-over-year decline in April.
Home sales recorded over Canadian MLS® Systems posted an 11.3% increase from March to April 2023, foreshadowed by smaller back-to-back gains recorded in February and March.
Access the April 2023 stats PDF.